Throw blankets are more than just cozy companions for chilly nights. They’re versatile enough to transform your living spaces; they’re the unsung heroes of home decor. Throw blankets not only provide warmth but also serve as powerful design elements.
With the right touch, a throw blanket can add texture, color, and visual interest to any space, making it a crucial component in your interior design toolkit. Wondering how to decorate with blankets? In this guide, we’ll explore over 10 creative ways to decorate with throw blankets, adding warmth, texture, and style to your home.
#1 The Artful Fold
Achieve casual elegance by neatly folding a throw blanket and draping it diagonally across the back of a sofa or chair. This simple yet impactful technique adds a touch of sophistication to your living space, inviting you to sink into its inviting embrace. The diagonal placement creates dynamic lines, infusing the room with visual interest and a relaxed, inviting atmosphere.
#2 Cozy Up an Entryway Bench
Welcome guests into your home with a cozy entryway bench adorned with throw blankets. Drape a blanket over the backrest or fold it neatly on the seat. Pair it with decorative pillows for added comfort and style. This setup not only offers a warm and inviting spot for guests to sit and remove their shoes but also introduces them to the aesthetic of your home right from the entrance. The throw blanket adds a touch of hominess, making the entryway feel more lived-in and loved.
#3 Throw Blanket Basket
A throw blanket basket is a stylish and functional way to store and display your blankets. Choose a woven basket with a rustic or bohemian vibe, or opt for a sleek metal or wooden design for a more modern touch. Place the basket in a corner of your living room or beside your sofa, and casually arrange the blankets inside. This not only keeps your throws organized but also adds a decorative element to your space. The basket serves as a visual anchor, drawing attention to the cozy textures and colors of the blankets within.
#4 Layering Blankets
Elevate your decor with the layered blankets. Pile multiple throws on a bed or sofa, creating a luxurious display of textures and colors. Experiment with combinations to achieve a visually captivating look that exudes warmth. This technique not only adds depth to your space but also invites you to indulge in its cozy embrace, making every moment a sumptuous experience.
#5 Boho Chic Draping
Embrace the free-spirited essence of boho chic by artfully draping a throw blanket over a sofa, chair, bed, or other seating furniture. This effortless technique infuses your decor with bohemian charm, creating a space that radiates warmth, creativity, and a carefree spirit. The casually draped fabric adds an element of texture and visual interest, inviting you to relax and unwind in style.
#6 Seat Cushion Enhancement
Elevate your accent chairs with a touch of comfort and style. Fold a throw blanket and delicately drape it over the seat cushion. This simple addition not only adds an extra layer of plush comfort but also introduces a stylish accent to your seating arrangement. The interplay of textures and colors creates a visually appealing focal point, inviting you to linger and enjoy your time in the space.
#7 Blanket Ladder Display
Transform your throw blankets into a decorative display with the charm of a ladder. Drape your collection over the rungs for an organized and visually appealing storage solution. This functional yet stylish addition not only keeps your blankets easily accessible but also adds an artistic touch to your space. The ladder’s structure provides a dynamic backdrop, allowing you to showcase your throws as an integral part of your decor.
#8 Hanging Blankets
Turn your throw blankets into wall art by hanging them. This technique is especially effective for blankets with intricate designs, vibrant colors, or unique textures. Use wooden or metal rods, decorative hangers, or even a series of hooks to display your blankets on a wall. This approach not only showcases the beauty of the throw but also adds warmth and texture to your walls. It’s a creative way to fill up a large wall space or to create a focal point in a room. Plus, it’s easy to switch out blankets as the seasons change or whenever you want a fresh look.
#9 Sofa Arm Accent
Infuse your living space with warmth and style by draping a throw blanket over the arm of your sofa. This simple yet effective addition not only adds a touch of comfort but also introduces a layer of style to your seating arrangement. The casually draped fabric exudes an air of relaxation and invites you to unwind in the cozy embrace of your home. The textures and colors create a visually appealing focal point, making your sofa a stylish centerpiece of your living area.
#10 Colorful Couch Cushion
Wondering how to style a throw blanket on a couch? Inject vibrancy and texture into your sofa by folding a throw blanket and using it as a cushion cover.
This approach adds a pop of color, introduces an inviting layer of comfort, and protects your couch cushions from any unexpected spills. The combination of textures and colors creates a visually captivating focal point, making your sofa a dynamic centerpiece of your living space. This versatile styling trick allows you to easily switch up the look of your sofa to suit different seasons or moods. There are a variety of ways to cover your sofa with a throw blanket – the choice is yours!
Choosing the Right Throw Blanket
When it comes to decorating with throw blankets, the first step is selecting the right one. Consider the material and texture, as well as the color and pattern. Additionally, ensure the throw blanket size complements the space you’re decorating.
- Material and Texture: Opt for cozy materials like soft cotton, plush faux fur, or warm wool for a comfortable and inviting feel. Consider the texture of the blanket – a chunky knit or a faux fur throw can add depth and visual interest to your decor.
- Color Palette: Choose colors that harmonize with your existing decor. For a cohesive look, select a throw that complements the hues of your furniture and accessories. Alternatively, opt for a bold, contrasting color to make the throw blanket a statement piece in the room.
- Patterns and Prints: Decide whether you want a solid color or a patterned throw. Patterns can add personality and visual intrigue to your space. Consider the style of your room – a geometric pattern may suit a modern aesthetic, while a floral or paisley print might complement a more traditional setting.
- Size and Proportion: Ensure the dimensions of the throw blanket are appropriate for the space you’re decorating. A larger throw can work as a statement piece on a sofa, while a smaller one may be ideal for an accent chair. Consider the proportions of the room – a smaller throw may get lost in a large, open space, while a larger one might overwhelm a cozy corner.
- Seasonal Considerations: Think about the climate in your location. In colder months, opt for heavier, warmer throws, while in warmer seasons, a lighter, breathable material may be more suitable.
- Functional Use: Determine how you plan to use the throw. Will it be primarily for decoration, or do you want a blanket that provides warmth and comfort for cozying up on chilly evenings?
- Complementary Textures: Consider the other textures in your space. Pairing a chunky knit throw with smooth leather furniture or a silky throw with a rustic wooden chair can create a pleasing contrast.
- Personal Preference: Trust your instincts and personal style. Ultimately, the throw blanket should resonate with you and reflect your taste and preferences.
- Versatility: Choose a throw blanket that seamlessly transitions between rooms and seasons. A versatile throw can be used in the living room, bedroom, or even as an outdoor accessory for chilly evenings.
Placement and Arrangement
Once you’ve chosen the perfect throw blanket, the next step is to master its placement. Thoughtful arrangement can transform a space, adding warmth, texture, and style. Explore these creative ideas to find the perfect spot for your chosen throw.
Living Room Focal Points
In the living room, a well-placed throw blanket can become a focal point. Drape it over the back of a sofa or fold it neatly on an armrest. The key is to create an inviting atmosphere that beckons you to snuggle up and relax.
Your bedroom is another canvas for throw blanket creativity. Lay one across the foot of your bed to add a layer of warmth and style. Experiment with different folds and arrangements to achieve the desired look, from casual and inviting to neat and sophisticated. For more inspiration, check out our tips for how to put a throw blanket on a bed.
Cozy Corners and Reading Nooks
Create intimate and inviting corners in your home by incorporating throw blankets. Drape them over chairs or arrange them in baskets for easy access. Not only do they add a touch of warmth, but they also invite you to curl up with a good book and unwind.
Experiment and Elevate
With Society6, you can access a curated selection of throw blankets in various colors, and patterns. Whether you’re looking for a cozy faux fur or a vibrant pattern, you will find the perfect addition to your home decor. Don’t be afraid to experiment and let your creativity run wild. Elevate your living spaces with the simple addition of a throw blanket and witness the transformation it brings to your home.
Acheson, Shannon. “Create a Cozy Corner So You Can Rest.” HOME MADE LOVELY, August, 22, 2022. https://homemadelovely.com/create-a-cozy-corner/. Accessed October 24, 2023.
McMillan, Raven, and Lydia Geisel. “How to Cover Your Sofa With Throws—Before You Buy Another Boring Slipcover.” domino, September 25, 2023. https://www.domino.com/content/sofa-slipcover-throw-blankets/. Accessed October 24, 2023.