Who says you need a truckload of money to give your home a stylish makeover? Not us! With a dash of creativity, a sprinkle of imagination, and a whole lot of enthusiasm, you can transform your space into a haven of easy DIY home decor ideas. Whether you’re decorating a new home or want to refresh your existing apartment decor, these projects will do the job. So, grab your crafting supplies, and let’s dive into 25 easy DIY home decor projects that’ll have your home looking like a million bucks – without breaking the bank!
1. Wall Art Extravaganza: Creative Canvas Beauties
Transform your blank walls into a gallery of creativity with some stunning DIY wall art. Whether you’re a seasoned artist or a beginner, there’s a project out there for you.
- For the artistic type: Grab a blank canvas and splash on some paint. You can use acrylics, oils, or even watercolors. If you’re feeling adventurous, try your hand at abstract painting or create a realistic portrait.
- For the crafty type: Use tissue paper, yarn, or even old magazines to create a textured masterpiece. You can cut, tear, and glue the materials to create your own unique design.
- For the sentimental type: Use photos, letters, or other mementos to create a personal and meaningful piece of wall art. This is a great way to show off your family and friends or to remember special memories.
Wall art can be customized for a variety of home decor styles, making it one of our favorite DIY home decor ideas.
2. Picture Frame Remix: Old to Gold
Dust off those forgotten picture frames and give them a fabulous facelift. With a little bit of creativity, you can turn your old frames into show-stopping decor pieces. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Paint your frames with a bold new color: This is a great way to add a pop of color to your space. Choose a color that complements your other decor, or go for a statement piece with a bright or metallic color.
- Use a decoupage to create a unique design: You can use anything from old maps and newspapers to fabric and photos to create a one-of-a-kind frame.
- Add a touch of glitter for a glamorous look: This is a great way to update a classic frame or add sparkle to a more modern space.
3. Pallet Wood Wonders: Rustic Charm on a Budget
Pallet wood is a great way to add a touch of rustic charm to your home without breaking the bank. Pallets are often free or very inexpensive to obtain, and they can be easily repurposed into various furniture and home decor items. Here are a few ideas for pallet wood projects:
- Coffee tables: Pallet wood coffee tables are a popular choice for their rustic look and sturdy construction.
- Planters: Pallet wood planters are a great way to add greenery to your home. You can use them to grow flowers, herbs, or even vegetables.
4. Marvelous Macrame: Knot Your Average Decor
Macrame is a beautiful and versatile craft that can be used to create a variety of home decor pieces. From plant hangers to wall hangings, macrame can add a touch of texture and free-spirited charm to any space. A few reasons why you should try macrame:
- Adds texture to your home: Macrame can add a sense of depth and interest to your decor, and it can help to break up the monotony of plain walls or furniture.
- Allows you to express your creativity: You can choose your own colors, patterns, and knots to create a piece that is truly unique.
- Easy craft to learn: Macrame doesn’t require any special skills or tools, and you can find plenty of tutorials online and in books. With a little practice, you’ll be macrame like a pro in no time!
5. Fantastic Furniture Flips: From Drab to Fab
Furniture flipping is a great way to save money on home decor and add a personal touch to your space. With a little bit of creativity and effort, you can transform a tired old piece of furniture into a fabulous focal point. Here are a few ideas to start with:
- Paint your furniture a bold new color: This is a great way to update the look of your furniture and make it stand out. Choose a color that complements your other decor, or go for a statement piece with a bright or metallic color.
- Decoupage your furniture with fabric, paper, or even photos: You can use anything from old maps and newspapers to fabric and photos to create a unique design.
Hop on this home decor trend for a more sustainable approach to interior design.
6. Lovely Lampshade Makeover: Shedding New Light
Lampshades can be a great way to add personality and style to your home decor. But if your lampshades look tired, it’s time for a makeover! With a few simple materials, you can transform your plain lampshades into eye-catching statement pieces.
- Cover your lampshade with fabric: This is a great way to add a pop of color or pattern to your lampshade. You can use any type of fabric you like, but a light and sheer fabric is best so that the light can still shine through.
- Paint your lampshade: This is a great way to update its look and make it match your decor.
- Embellish your lampshade: You can dress up your lampshades with beads, sequins, or other decorations. This is a great way to add some personality to your lampshade.
7. Beautiful Bookshelf Styling: Shelfies with Flair
Transform your bookshelves from storage to stunning with some thoughtful styling. Mix books with decorative items, incorporate plants, and play with different heights to create an eye-catching display. Here’s how to get styling:
- Start by grouping your books together by color, size, or genre. This will help to create a cohesive look.
- Add decorative items such as figurines, vases, or photos. This will add interest and personality to your bookshelf.
- Incorporate plants for a touch of greenery. Plants can add life and freshness to your bookshelf.
8. DIY Candle Holders: Flickering Ambiance
Craft your own candle holders using materials like glass vases, mason jars, or even pieces of wood. Whether you’re going for rustic, romantic, or modern vibes, candle holders add a touch of coziness and ambiance to any room. Here are a few ideas for DIY candle holders:
- Glass vases: Glass vases can be easily transformed into candle holders by adding a few simple embellishments. You can wrap them in ribbon, add beads or sequins, or even paint them with a fun design.
- Mason jars: Mason jars are another great option for DIY candle holders. They’re inexpensive and easy to find, and they can be customized in endless ways. You can paint them, decorate them with stickers, or even add a stencil design.
- Wooden candle holders: Wooden candle holders add a touch of rustic charm to any space. You can make your own wooden candle holders by carving them out of a piece of wood, or you can buy them pre-made.
9. Fabulous Fabric Art: Textile Treasures
Fabric art is a relatively inexpensive way to update your space. With a little bit of creativity, you can transform your fabric into a work of art that will be the envy of your friends and family. Here are a few ideas for fabric art projects:
- Fabric wall hangings: Fabric wall hangings are a great way to add a touch of color and pattern to your walls. You can create a simple tapestry by cutting out a piece of fabric in a desired shape and then hanging it on the wall with a piece of string or ribbon.
- Upholstered furniture: Upholstering furniture with fabric is a great way to give your furniture a new look. You can choose a fabric that matches your existing decor, or you can choose a fabric that is a bold statement piece.
- Fabric pillows: Throw pillows are a great way to add a pop of color and pattern to your home decor. You can choose fabric pillows that match your existing decor, or you can choose fabric pillows that are a bold statement piece.
10. Thrifty Thrift Store Finds: Hidden Gems
Embark on a thrift store adventure and discover hidden decor gems waiting to be revitalized. A coat of paint or creative repurposing can turn thrifted items into statement pieces that tell a story. Here are a few tips for finding hidden gems at thrift stores:
- Be patient and persistent: It takes time to discover the perfect thrift store find. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t find anything you love immediately. Keep going, and you’ll eventually find something special.
- Be open to different styles: Don’t be afraid to experiment with different styles when you’re thrifting. You might find that you love a piece you would never have considered if you saw it in a store.
- Be creative with repurposing: Don’t be afraid to get creative with your thrift store finds. A little bit of paint or some creative repurposing can turn a thrifted item into a statement piece.
11. Pom Pom Perfection: Playful Pops of Color
Pom poms are a great way to add a pop of color and texture to your home decor. They’re also relatively easy to make, so you can customize them to match your style. Here are a few tips for making DIY pom poms:
- Use different colors of yarn: Pom poms are a great way to add a pop of color to your decor. Use different colors of yarn to create a festive or whimsical look.
- Make different sizes of pom poms: Pom poms come in different sizes, so you can choose the size that best suits your project. For example, smaller pom poms are perfect for attaching to blankets or pillows, while larger pom poms are perfect for creating a pom pom garland.
12. Beautiful Blanket Ladders: Climb to Coziness
Craft your own blanket ladder using simple wooden dowels or pieces of scrap wood. It’s a stylish way to display your cozy blankets while adding a rustic touch to your living space. Here are a few tips for making a blanket ladder:
- Measure carefully: When you’re cutting the dowels or wood for your blanket ladder, it’s important to measure carefully. You want the dowels or wood to be the same length so that your blanket ladder is sturdy.
- Sand the wood: Once you’ve cut the dowels or wood, it’s a good idea to sand them. This will help to smooth out the edges and make the blanket ladder more comfortable to use.
- Finish the wood: You can finish the wood with a clear coat of sealant or paint. This will protect the wood and make it look more polished.
13. Crafty Coffee Table Upgrade: From Drab to Fab
Revive your coffee table with a creative upgrade. Think stenciling, decoupage, or even transforming an old trunk into a unique and functional centerpiece.
- Stenciling: Stenciling is a great way to add a touch of personality to your coffee table. You can choose from a variety of stencil designs to create a unique look.
- Decoupage: Decoupage is a great way to add a collage of images or patterns to your coffee table. You can use decoupage paper, fabric, or even magazine clippings to create a one-of-a-kind design.
- Trunk coffee table: An old trunk can be transformed into a unique and functional coffee table. Simply clean and sand the trunk, then add a coat of paint or stain to match your decor. You can also add some decorative hardware to give the trunk a finished look.
14. Stylish Storage Bins: Declutter with Flair
Banish clutter in style by giving storage bins a decorative twist. This DIY home decor project is perfect if you’re decorating a studio apartment and want something functional and stylish.
- Paint them: Paint your storage bins in a fun color or pattern to add a pop of personality to your space. You can also use stencils to create a custom design.
- Add fabric: Line your storage bins with fabric to make them more stylish and to protect your belongings. You can choose from a variety of fabrics to match your decor.
- Stencil them: You can use stencils to create a custom design or to replicate a design that you find online or in a magazine.
15. Tissue Paper Flowers: Blooms that Last Forever
Tissue paper flowers are a great way to add a pop of color and style to your home decor. They’re also relatively easy to make, so you can customize them to match your style. Here are a few tips for making tissue paper flowers:
- Choose the right colors and patterns: Tissue paper comes in a variety of colors and patterns, so you can choose the perfect flowers to match your decor.
- Use different types of tissue paper: There are different types of tissue paper available, such as crepe paper, tissue foil, and metallic tissue paper. Each type of tissue paper has its own unique properties, so experiment to find the type that works best for you.
16. DIY Rope Baskets: Chic and Organized
Rope baskets are a great way to add a touch of rustic charm to your home decor. They’re also relatively easy to make, so you can customize them to match your style. Here are a few tips for making DIY rope baskets:
- Choose the right type of rope: There are different types of rope available, such as cotton rope, sisal rope, and jute rope. Each type of rope has its own unique properties, so experiment to find the type that works best for you.
- Use strong glue: When you’re gluing the rope together, it’s important to use strong glue to hold the rope in place. Epoxy glue is a good option for this project.
17. Whimsical Window Treatments: Creative Curtains
Revamp your windows with DIY curtains that are anything but ordinary. Think tie-dye, dip-dye, or even painting your own patterns onto plain white curtains.
- Tie-dye curtains: Tie-dye curtains are a great way to add a touch of fun and whimsy to your home decor. You can tie-dye curtains in any color or pattern that you like.
- Dip-dye curtains: Dip-dye curtains are another great way to add a touch of color and personality to your home decor. You can dip-dye curtains in any color that you like.
- Painted curtains: Painted curtains are a great way to add a custom look to your home decor. You can paint curtains in any pattern or design that you like.
18. Crafty Cork Creations: Cheers to DIY Decor
Don’t toss those wine corks – turn them into creative decor! Cork is a natural material that is both durable and versatile. It’s also a great way to upcycle wine corks, which can be difficult to recycle. Here are a few ideas for cork crafts:
- Coasters: Cork coasters are a great way to protect your furniture from water rings. They’re also a great way to show off your wine cork collection.
- Bulletin boards: Cork bulletin boards are a great way to display messages, photos, and artwork. They’re also a great way to keep track of your to-do lists.
- Trivets: Cork trivets are a great way to protect your countertops from hot pots and pans. They’re also a great way to add a touch of rustic charm to your kitchen.
- Placemats: Cork placemats are a great way to protect your tablecloth from spills. They’re also a great way to add a touch of rustic charm to your dining table.
19. Personalized Pillows: Snuggle-Worthy Statements
Customize your throw pillows with fabric paint, stencils, or even some creative embroidery. Personalized pillows add a touch of uniqueness and personality to your decor. Here are a few ideas for personalized pillows:
- Embroider your name or initials on a pillow: This is a classic way to personalize a pillow. You can use a simple embroidery hoop and thread, or you can get more creative with your design.
- Paint a design on a pillow: This is a great way to add a pop of color to your decor. You can use fabric paint or acrylic paint, and you can get as creative as you want with your design.
- Use fabric scraps to create a patchwork pillow: This is a great way to upcycle fabric scraps and create a one-of-a-kind pillow. You can choose fabrics in different colors and patterns to create a unique pillow.
There you have it – 20 fantastic DIY home decor projects that are guaranteed to add a dose of creativity and charm to your living space.
Affordable Home Decor to Upgrade Your Space
For anything you need, check out our selection at Society6. From fun wall art to stylish sheer curtains, we have almost anything you can think of when it comes to home decor. We host designs created by our global community of independent artists.
If you’re looking to dress up your space on a budget, browse Society6 for a number of home decor essentials! If you’d rather spend the time diving into one of these fun projects, roll up your sleeves, grab your crafting supplies, and let your imagination run wild!
- Anderson, Tanya. “How to Build a Pallet Planter in 5 Easy Steps.” Lovely Greens, 23 Mar. 2023, lovelygreens.com/how-to-build-a-pallet-planter/
- Design Improvised. “16 Pom-Pom Decor Crafts to Try in Your Home.” Design Improvised, 25 Oct. 2020, designimprovised.com/2020/03/16-pom-pom-decor-crafts-to-try-in-your-home.html